Friday, June 15, 2012

Stephanie's Story

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm one of the relief staff at The Mustard Seed Shelter. I have always been curious about how the Drug Courts work as I am a recovering alcoholic and drug addict, but I had no idea how to go about looking into it. Last week I had the opportunity to head down to the Calgary Drug Courts with an acquaintance who happens to be a counselor there.

I wish I could have listened in to the conversations that happen inside. First the lawyers and judge arrive and take their places.  We all rose when the judge arrived. There were two prosecutors and one defense lawyer.

I've been in courtrooms before. Back then I hated having to stand up for the judge. This time, oddly, I was excited by the prospect of standing and showing her the respect that she deserved. I was grateful that I could do it with a clear conscience.

The first young woman, we'll call her Stephanie, was called up to share her story. Her mother was very sick and had been for a while. The judge interrupted to say she remembered and that she commiserated with this girl. Stephanie went on to say that she had relapsed over the past week and that she felt "very raw". She began to cry, and one of the prosecutors passed her some Kleenex. When she was done, the first prosecutor stood up and spoke about how commendable it was that, as upset and troubled as she was, she still chose to show up for her regular Drug Court appointment. The prosecutor then went on to list a number of good things about Stephanie, and how far she'd come. Then the second prosecutor followed suit. I was very surprised at the prosecutors' words, and my heart swelled - I had assumed they were going to punish her somehow. It had never occurred to me that there was any other option. Part of me was initially confused by the prosecutors. They sounded an awful lot like defense lawyers to me. What kind of prosecutors say lots of nice things about the people they are prosecuting?

When the lawyers were done, it was the judge's turn, who had surprising words as well. She started out by asking some questions related to what Stephanie planned on doing about the struggles she's been having, and what the court could do to support her.They came up with a plan that involved her getting some one-on-one time with one of the counselors at the court, and it seemed like she left the podium with a bit more spring in her step and  more hope in her eyes. There was no mention of punishment or of going back to jail during any of this. The only message that came through loud and clear was this:

"Everybody, including the prosecutors, judge, bailiffs, and witnesses in the court, is here to love and support you until you can stand on your own two feet again."

 For me, personally, that day was inspiring. I saw hope, courage, and love in a place where I never thought there could be any. It reminded me of the first AA meeting I went to when I realized, truly, that I never had to drink or use drugs again. I was free, and the recovering people in that courtroom could be too. I was also reminded that grace is the most loving gift we can give to each other. Condemnation does not heal or change us -- but grace, love, and hope will.

- Tim

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Tim. What an inspiring story! I rarely hear positive stories about the court system, so this gives much hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so wondeful that you shared this Tim. That was a very inspiring day indeed. Grace is healing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.