Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Meal Line



A few weeks ago, I thought I would stand in the meal line at The Mustard Seed in Edmonton to see what the experience was like.  The thoughts that went through my mind were everything from “Am I really that hungry” to “When will this line hurry up” to “I wonder what they have for dinner.”  And, when I came to the serving table, I realized why people were so grateful for every piece of food they received.  You get to that point and you are just really happy to receive food after waiting for so long.  I mean, I really was grateful for my food.  I wondered what it would be like to wait in a meal line during winter.  Just imagine, standing in freezing temperatures waiting for a meal.  On top of that, imagine having issues like mental illness, addictions and not having a home.  It must be hard, really hard.

This summer, we have between 20-30 unsponsored meals to fill.  Often we have fewer meal volunteers in the summer because people go on vacation.  I’ve had the opportunity to help serve a meal in the past, and trust me, it’s an eye-opening experience. 

You realize that people who live on the margins of society are just like you and me.  And, when and if you decide to talk to them, you’ll see that often they experienced really harsh circumstances that affected their lives.  Their stories may transform your outlook about the homeless and those living in poverty.  They may even leave you wondering if you would be in the same position if you were in their shoes.  If you’re looking for an interesting and humbling experience, look no further than The Mustard Seed.  Get together a group of ten people and give us a call.  You’ll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.