Friday, June 08, 2012

Lego

It may not surpise you to know that I was really (I mean really really) great with Lego Bricks.  I was the kinda kid that could build a Gaudi inspired cathedral in an afternoon, replicate Windsor Castle on our dining room table and elicit "oohs" and "aahs" from my folks with my Eiffel tower or my Versaiiles Hall of Mirrors.  All made from the ubiquitous plastic bricks.  I was one of those creative kids.



A lot of kids had their creativity squashed out of them at an early age because of some rule about lines and coloring, or making too much noise.  Other energetic actors and imaginative players were shut down byMrs Baxter in the church foyer who took it upon herself to remind you that "running was not allowed in God's House!".  I remember showing my parents my acceptance letter for the Emily Carr College of Fine Art in Vancouver and my dad asking me what I would do for a real job once I graduated...he wasn't a bad guy, he just didn't want an actor (my brother) and an artist in the same batch of kids!

Here is what I know...and in a second I'll tell you what I think.  What I know is that the same kid who could build a Roman Colusseum in his bedroom is grappling with major societal challenges like ending homelessness and eliminating poverty. What I know is that there are millions of creative, thoughtful and imaginative people who for one-reason-or-another gave up on their creative sides and adopted a stance approaching normal (whatever that is).  What I know is that people who really care about the big issues of life are frustrated by business as usual and are ready for a creative revolution.


I don't think that solutions for our world wide challenges will come by staying still, folding hands, keeping quiet. I think that we need to find ways to engage the creative thinking of our communities and give them the tools to express the ideas that emerge.  Those tools may be crayons, cardboard and glue, or they may be blogs, zines and graffitti.  Whatever they are I am convinced that we must unleash creativity in the realm of tough questions and tougher times.  I'll go one step further...I think we should run through the silent foyers of our churches (look out Mrs. Baxter) shouting "come out and play with us, the world needs to know you care!". Sometimes I think I should haul out those three rubbermaids of lego bricks, sit down and begin to create again...want to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.