Monday, August 20, 2012

Your Partner in Changing Lives


6 years, 2 months, 18 days.

196, 214, 400 seconds

3, 270, 240 minutes

54, 504 hours...

Since I began working at The Mustard Seed. In my second interview for my job back in the spring of 2006, I sat in a bare meeting room with Jody and Susan as Jody said to me, "everyone comes to The Mustard Seed because they're looking for something. They’re all here different lengths of time before they realize they've found it."

I found it almost that day, and have been finding, losing and rediscovering it ever since. What is it? Well that’s for each person to find out for themselves. But I know it's here.

When I was hired, our tagline was “your partner in changing lives.” We truly meant it, and not just for our clients.  The Mustard Seed changed my life. It changed who I am, how I treat people, what scares me and what comforts me, what I push for, what my goals are, what enrages me, and more. I'm not afraid. I'm more compassionate. I've grown. I’m smarter now than I was, if perhaps a little more paranoid, and there’s a chance I might have a skewed perception on life. Working at The Mustard Seed has taught me all about love. 2271 days of love, as well as kindness, generosity and strength.

I have met the most incredible people of my life while I've been here - some of whom you've heard from on this blog, some of whom have moved on, some of whom have passed on, and some of whom are silent warriors, working or living amongst the poor - and surviving. And I am grateful for all of the moments I've spent with all of these people - both good moments and bad ones. 

What experience has changed your life?

Your partner in changing lives,

- Sarah


Follow Sarah on Twitter @ispeakcanadian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.