Thursday, August 09, 2012

Stitched Together

Sometimes I forget how significant the individual donations we receive can be. I am in charge of Mustard Seed Edmonton’s warehouse where we receive and sort all of our donations. My volunteers and I go through a whole lot of stuff - we sort dozens of bags and boxes every day. Many of our donors will drop by in the middle of their lunch break or errand run, and are often busy people who are on the go. And, so we usually greet each other with a smile and quick hello, and then I take their donations inside. On rare occasion I will have an interaction with a donor that so clearly reminds me that every little bit counts and that God is able to keep track of it all.

A few weeks back, the Wolbeck family came by with a donation. Brian, Deb, Greg and Emily piled out of their minivan with smiles on their faces. At the same time, another individual donor pulled up who seemed to be in a rush. The Wolbecks were quick to help take in the other donor’s items when I asked for their help. We all cheerfully worked together to empty the busy woman’s vehicle and then she was on her way.

Then I had a chance to take a look at the Wolbecks’ donation. Their minivan was packed full of beautiful, new, homemade quilts. It was a tiny miracle. What many of our donors don’t realize is that much of the community that The Mustard Seed serves needs new blankets all year round. It might be warm and sunny during the day, but it still gets chilly at night for people who sleep outside. Throughout this summer, and particularly when the Wolbecks arrived, our blanket shelves were completely barren. It was such a thrill for me to invite this family inside to show them the difference they would be making. And, they were invigorated too. They jumped to help bring in the dozens of quilts and put them directly into our Personal Assistance Centre.

As we worked together to fill the shelves, I felt like I wanted to bless the Wolbecks somehow in return for what they had given. So, I expressed this to them and asked if I could pray for them. As we bowed our heads it became so clear that God was present in that moment. Deb expressed it this way in an email to me afterwards, 
 “The Holy Spirit was just heavy in that place so we know great things will happen. May He bless every one of the hearts and hands of people that work there and may all who enter those doors feel what we felt.”

We were all moved to tears. Sometimes you just know that God is near and involved. I know for certain that God is able to see the needs of every individual that The Mustard Seed serves. And, I also believe that he is capable of drawing resources from far and wide to take care of those in need. I hadn’t even heard of the town of Heisler before I met the Wolbecks. But, God knew them and where they are from. He also knew that they would be willing to put all the effort into making those quilts and driving 160km to deliver them.

I am so thankful to be a part of a movement that doesn’t just reach out to the poor, but nurtures their community. I am also thankful that God sees fit to include people from all over Alberta in this same community as donors and volunteers. Christ is actively at work in Edmonton’s inner city stitching people together and I love it.
- Nathan

----- 
Subscribe to The Mustard Seed Blog via RSS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.