Tuesday, April 17, 2012

How Volunteering Became a Gift

Before working at The Mustard Seed, I never knew that those living in poverty volunteered in our community. But, it's true: those we serve at The Mustard Seed often volunteer for us. And, sometimes the experience is even life-changing for them. Lillian's story tells it best.

"I came from an abusive and alcoholic family. People were murdered in my life - and that really hurt me. Then, The Mustard Seed helped me.

I volunteer in The Mustard Seed's donations sorting group. I can feel God's presence at The Mustard Seed and through all the different people who work there. With the sorting group, there is prayer for people. I really appreciate being part of that group.

The Mustard Seed has helped me get food when I had nothing, nothing at all. All I had was AISH. I used to look down at the floor. I couldn't talk to people without stuttering but I sure can now. I opened up at The Mustard Seed.

I've gone from being a very silent person to a very open person. I smile with people. I share with people. And, I always leave The Mustard Seed feeling light and full and complete."

Thanks to Lillian for her story and for her volunteer efforts. Thanks also to others like her, who despite their own difficult circumstances, take the time to help their own community.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.