Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Hacky Sack

As a relief support worker at The Mustard Seed Calgary, I work in several different departments (my job never gets boring!). One of my primary tasks involves helping facilitate our DemoCrew and CollegeCrew programs -- experiences where high school or college/university students spend multiple days and nights with us at The Mustard Seed volunteering and learning about homelessness. Our goal with these programs is to demolish the darkness and demonstrate the love of Jesus.

I was wrapping up orientation during one such CollegeCrew and asked the group to share whether they had any fears or apprehensions for the weekend ahead. One young man, whom I'll call David (not his real name), spoke up.

"I've never been good with words. What am I supposed to tell somebody whose life seems to be one bad run of events after another? I don't know how someone like me can say the right thing to help."

I told him that often, it's not the words we speak, but the most seemingly insignificant actions, that make the difference. He nodded, unconvinced, and I took the group for their first mealtime with our guests.

After supper I went to round up the students. As many wrapped up conversations with their tablemates, I looked around for David and found him leaning against the wall, intently focused on a game of hacky sack that had been started in the corner by five or six guests who I knew quite well. I approached David and stood with him.

"Do you think...do you think that maybe I could go play for a bit?" he asked me nervously.

"I think that's a great idea," I replied with a smile. "Go for it! They'd love to have you."

Cautiously, David approached the circle, where the guests enthusiastically invited him to join in. The following day, one of the guests approached me with more joy in his face than I had seen in months, asking if I could "please, please" excuse David from a group activity for a bit so they could play one more game of hacky sack together.

At the end of the weekend, David revealed that he had struggled with depression for many years, and had felt unqualified to help make anybody else's life better.

"But now," he said, "I know that it's not always about saying the right words. Maybe, sometimes, it's enough to kick a sack around with a bunch of people who I would normally have passed by on the street."

Sometimes, "helping" just might look like a game of hacky sack.

2 comments:

  1. YES!! love this post! thanks for sharing Taj!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome.. the seed has come a very long way since the doors opened in the 90s up graded from the coffee house it use to be keep it going :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.