Thursday, September 15, 2011

Put Me In, Coach!

Hi, I'm Eric and I'm filling in for Lydia today from the Employment department in Calgary.

As an Employment Coach you never know what a day at The Mustard Seed Employment Centre will involve.  Obtaining a job can be stressful and hard work, and my job as an Employment Coach is to help clients work through that process.  Some of our clients need help sprucing up their resume, or practicing answering basic interview questions.  Some clients simply need you to be present at an interview to provide that extra bit of confidence in order to impress an employer. 

Every day can involve a lot of different emotions for an Employment Coach.  Sometimes I come into the office and have a voicemail telling me that an employer is considering letting go of one of my clients because he got his first paycheque and spent it on something illicit.  But, thankfully, more often I come in and have a message from one of my clients saying that they have an interview at a restaurant or they got a job in a manufacturing plant.

Recently I had the opportunity to go with a client to an interview with a major Calgary employer.  I was there to support my client but she really didn’t need me there.  She was confident and made a compelling case that she would be a reliable and valuable employee for this company.  They hired her on the spot after a very short interview. It’s moments like these where a guest has chosen to change their life, and take the scary step of finding employment that makes my job fulfilling.  The role that an Employment Coach plays can be large or small with our guests but all that matters is that we continue to plant little seeds of hope in as many guests’ lives as possible.

- Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.