Thursday, September 08, 2011

Follow me to Housing

Greetings! My name is Nic, I work with the Mustard Seed’s Rehousing department. My role is to advocate for housing on behalf and with the guests of the Mustard Seed. I’ve worked with The Mustard Seed for about 1 year, but was involved for 3 years prior to that as a volunteer.

In response to Calgary’s goal to end homelessness, The Mustard Seed has focused on three areas; basic services, housing and employment. These areas of support are addressed in order to guide people to long-term, sustainable housing. This work is justice, mercy and, I think, it’s restorative. Every month I see individuals ‘restored’ just a little and I see mercy extended to those in need. I see people find home!

Truly, this work of justice comes with its moments of disappointment and discouragement, but it is never-the-less an opportunity for restoration. I have this opportunity to see individuals and communities and even my city come together with passion to insure that there is always hope for recovering from poverty and isolation. Because of the work I do, I realize more and more every day that we are all unworthy and, paradoxically, worthy. Knowing my own unworthiness, I see the need to extend grace and help to those who need it most. Realizing my inherent worthiness, it becomes energizing to watch people get keys to their own home for the first time. The efforts to address homelessness belong to the community! For the first time in a long time we’re taking radical steps to change homelessness in my community (Calgary), we’re blessed with involvement from volunteers, staff, other agencies, property owners and landlords to make this work of justice happen!

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.