Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Love in Action



“For one human being to love another, that is perhaps the most difficult of all of our tasks; the ultimate, the last test and proof, the work for which all other work is but preparation.”
-Rainer Maria Rilke

The streets are covered in snow. The markings of foot and tire remain etched into its whiteness, tall corporations stand in stark comparison to the blue in the sky and outside the doors of The Mustard Seed, a crowd of people are waiting to be let in for lunch.

One year ago I would have not known a single face in this crowd.  I had just returned to Calgary and was far removed from the world that exists on Centre Street and 11 Avenue.  All of this changed when I was hired on as an Employment Coach.

I was admitted into this world, into this vortex of pain and loss, healing and resurrection.  This street, where the lives of the people who access The Mustard Seed services are lived out, was suddenly my own.  Since then I have walked up and down this street, standing with those upon it.  I have run from the 102 building to the 106 building, crossing Centre Street multiple times a day.  I entered the premises of these lives, that once seemed so separate and unlike my own.
There are moments I look from the window at those faces below, faces that emerge from the black and blue collars of the oversized coats that are worn. Faces full of lines that share where they have been, and I wonder if my place here is relevant.  Does my part in their world make a bit of difference?  Is it possible that despite my reservations and fears I can find within myself the strength to love them; the love that not only brightens their lives but also my own?

I come face to face with the answer every now and then, it occurs at the pivotal moments when I forget where I stand in relation to them.  When I do not view them from the window but when I engage in relationship with them on that street below.  

The pivotal moments I speak of orbit around our meagre attempts to love, and at times transform the moments themselves, ergo, the lives that exist within them.  

The Moments:  Dropping a guest off at an interview and experiencing the nervousness of waiting to hear all about it. Listening with pride as an employer talks about how well the guest is doing in a job they had just acquired.  Sitting with a guest and listening to their story.  The moments that bring me closer to our guests are those moments that pull me into their world, seamlessly, without effort.  This is love in action.

And this I know, for one human being to love another is the most difficult of tasks, and also one of the most rewarding.  I have found that to love is to render oneself to equal bouts of hope and fear; to rise and fall with our guests in the mutual experience of their hopes and fears.

So now, as I watch the streets that surround The Mustard Seed, I do not see strangers that exist there in a world that is not my own.  I see a man who recently lost his daughter, a woman who just left an abusive relationship, a brother who just lost his job, and a sister who is looking for a second chance, in a world that we share.  Through these shared experiences we learn to love.  When we learn to love we become transformed.  

- Laura S, Employment Coach, The Mustard Seed
Laura S on Twitter: @schoenberglaura
----- Subscribe to The Mustard Seed Blog via RSS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.