Wednesday, January 02, 2013

All I Want For Christmas


I have just celebrated my 52nd Christmas. I feel like that makes me somewhat of a “Christmas Expert”. I mean, 52 years of doing Christmas correctly (and more often than not, incorrectly) should at least qualify one to have an “informed opinion”, don’t you think?

The buildup to Christmas is awesome. It is like the ultimate snowball: flying down the hill, gathering size and speed. There are lights, boxes of decorations to haul around the house, and (not one, but two) trees that require decorating. Generally around our house, the official kick-off begins with a Christmas Eve service, followed by way too much food, all in preparation for Christmas Day, which also involves way too much food.

Don’t forget the gifts – most of which have been purchased with a sense of desperation that can only be found in a man dying of thirst looking for water. With the gifts comes the built-in competitiveness that also exists around most decorated Christmas trees. The feeling that you have to “get them something” and that it has to be better than what they got you in order for you to be the official “Winner of Christmas Day”.  In 52 years, I have never even come close to winning this competition as documented in the “what were you thinking” look on my wife’s face when she opens that carefully and environmentally-negligently-wrapped box the last 25 years.

After all the “Christmas stuff” is complete, I find myself sitting on a couch thinking, “What was this really all about?” I’ve been known to read the Bible on occasion and there is little doubt we are to tell the story of the birth of Jesus and all that it entails, and there is no doubt that is something to celebrate.  I mean, think about it… the Word became flesh and dwelt among us – the incarnation. In Jesus, the eternal, all-powerful and all-knowing creator of the universe became flesh.

But why would God do such a thing? Why would he come as a baby, instead of appearing in power and majesty? Why make himself a true man and live among us, when he knew full well how terribly he would be treated? Well, John 3:16 tells us that His motive was simple: He loves us. Jesus came as an expression of God’s love. Christmas is supposed to be about Jesus. It’s really that simple.

I am as guilty as anyone else of settling for the lukewarm, commercialized version of Christmas. But as I reflect now on my 52nd Christmas, my question is this: Are we in, fact, not settling for much less? All I want for Christmas, I already received in Christ - what else could I possibly need?


- Bill Nixon,  Director of Public Education, The Mustard Seed
@billbytheminute


----- Subscribe to The Mustard Seed Blog via RSS

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this Bill. It is always a challenge to remain focused on what Christmas is about among the consumerism and societal expectations that continually want to rewrite what Christmas should be. In a time where we are challenged to celebrate Christianity as we welcome other faiths and their celebrations, remaining true to the real reason to celebrate, the birth of our Saviour and eternal life, is critical to keeping God first in our hearts. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read Bill A+ I appreciate the heart felt thought you put into it, as a Christmas expert myself (44 years) I found it useful and helpful I myself kind of see Christmas as two seperate streams the Christ child and the Festival of food friends and fun that is largely growing more commercial every year. Kevin Kurtz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.