Thursday, July 12, 2012

Mustard Seed Journey

I started my journey at the Mustard Seed in January 2012. I began as a Social Work Practicum Student from Mount Royal University. I have always felt a connection with this population however, I recall walking up to the entrance on my first day somewhat fearful. I was unsure of what to expect.  Following some training I was ready to explore Transitional Housing where I would be a Practicum Housing Support Worker for the next four months of my life.  I was welcomed by the department with nothing but kindness, openness and compassion.

At first I would just sit in the common area and get to know some of the residents. I began truly hearing their stories and finding similarities with everyone. Every single person has felt pain, felt sadness, felt joy, felt love and felt hate. I began truly falling in love with each person that lived in Transitional Housing. It’s funny when I think of my life outside of the Seed and the people I interact with. I think to myself that I would probably not have been open to the opportunity of experiencing the beauty that each of these people brings to the world.
 

As each day of my practicum passed I could notice myself growing into the person I always knew I was. I found myself acknowledging the skills I have and being open to positive change. People in my life were telling me I had changed and it was an amazing feeling. I feel I owe part of who I am today to all the residents and staff I have worked with in the Seed.

I not only saw growth in myself but I witnessed Transitional Housing turn into Permanent Supportive Housing. I watched as residents became immersed in this community. I witnessed relationships build and a family dynamic be created between these people. For many of the members of this community family is something that is missing in their lives. Something they had once and lost or something they’ve never truly experienced. Being able to establish this form of support in their lives is a stepping stone on the road to recovery. 


- Michelle

-----
Subscribe to The Mustard Seed Blog via RSS

2 comments:

  1. It is a great honour and privilege to serve with you Michelle and watch you learn, grow and strive for a better world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always so touched, my world changed, when someone new to homelessness sees their world differently after becoming connected to those we serve. Michelle as you have experienced change in your own life due to what you have experienced, please know that those you have talked with, listened to, joined in community with are also changed, simply because you care. We are blessed to have you among us. Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.