Monday, July 16, 2012

The Chronicles of Westwood Manor: From the Tenants Interview 1


Whether you call it HousingFirst or HousingPlus or Housing-whatever, it can be said that the “Housing" program is a new and mysterious enigma here at The Mustard Seed Edmonton. The rumours about this fancy program must be spreading like gangrene: "Did you hear? They installed a pool with a diving board - on the roof no less!" and "Have you heard? They just bought an exact replica of the Taj Mahal made out of spaghetti!"

Well friends, let me assure you with comforting words: rainbow, cherry cake, unicorn, puppies. To dispel the myths even further, I have with me our very own expert, whom we will refer to as Mark, a tenant and handyman here at the house.


Jeremiah: So, Mark, what happens on a regular day at the apartment?
Mark: Sometimes I go to work, sometimes I go out and get groceries ...uh I mean, do cleaning and maintenance, talk in [the] Common Room, meet up with people at The Mustard Seed. We sit around, talk, and enjoy.
[To himself]:Can’t believe I said grocery shopping! *laughs*

J: Has this house had a positive influence on you?
M: Yeah it has! The programs here at The Mustard Seed have really improved my Christianity and has really helped to increase my sense of unity with the community I am a part of.

J: What is your favourite part of the Housing program?
M: My favourite part is the suite that they gave me: brand new cupboards and floor, exceptional acoustics for a stereo and [affords me] the ability to cook my own meals.

J: Where would you be if you had no house to live in?
M: YMCA, but I like this place 1000 times better. I’ve rented really expensive apartments before with problems. You look out the window and see greasy people and wonder if a shower curtain salesman lives across from you.*chuckles*. But it is a really safe place here.

J: If there was one thing you would like the rest of the Mustard Seed to know about its Housing program, what would it be?
M: Tough luck. *laughs*. Just kidding! The Mustard Seed is getting more places and is providing top-notch support. You can’t get it better than this. The Mustard Seed has exceeded the limit and has gone way out of their way to do better. Just when you think The Mustard Seed has done everything, they do more.

Well there you have it folks, wisdom from the expert. I pray this has given you a little taste of The Mustard Seed Housing Program at Westwood Manor.


Love Lots,
Jeremiah


-----
Subscribe to The Mustard Seed Blog via RSS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.