Friday, May 25, 2012

Ruined For Ordinary

I’ve been a part of The Mustard Seed community for 11 years now.  I started volunteering when I was in high school because I wanted to help the less fortunate and knew that I had lived a privileged life. I have never worried about having enough food to eat, where I was going to sleep at night and I had the unconditional love of a good family.
At the age of 16, I thought I knew a few things about life and figured that I had something to offer the people who used the services at The Mustard Seed.  It turns out that after spending time with them, I realized that I knew nothing about life.  I also learned that getting out of poverty or breaking an addiction was harder than pulling up your bootstraps.  One of the first people I met and got to know well was a man named John, who I always saw with a smile on his face.   He taught me that true joy does not come from driving a nice car or having a successful career or wearing designer jeans.  Joy is found in community with people that love and care for one another and where you are valued for what you have to give.  John taught me that people living in poverty may lack security food, clothing, and shelter but they also are incredible artists, storytellers, athletes, and carpenters.
I know this will sound so very cliché but I have learned way more from The Mustard Seed community than I have taught. I have received way more than I have given.  I have been ruined for ordinary by experiencing the love and generosity from this community.

You can follow me on twitter @ruined4ordinary or email me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.