Wednesday, May 02, 2012

The Mustard Seed Wrecked My Life

May 9th marks exactly one year since I walked through the doors of The Mustard Seed in downtown Calgary for my first day of work. When I applied in January 2011 for a summer student position and I received the job, I was excited, and looked forward to what I hoped would be a rewarding summer of work before returning to university in September. But God had other plans.

I'll be honest. I didn't really sleep for about a week prior to my first day. As it loomed closer, I started getting more nervous. Growing up, I'd spent only limited time around homelessness, usually from behind a kitchen window, silently serving up plates to what seemed like endless lines of people. How was I ever going to connect with or relate to the guests of The Seed? I consoled myself with the knowledge that I only had to survive 14 weeks and then my job would be over.

12 months later, I'm still here. And loving every minute of it.

I've never had a day at The Seed where I haven't looked forward to going to work. Don't get me wrong -- there are challenging moments, tiring nights, and emotional battles. But every day, I learn new things.

I've learned that if I ask guests how they are, I usually won't receive the superficial "good thanks, and you?" answer that often characterizes day-to-day interactions. If someone's having a bad day, they're going to be honest about it. And so my motto now, not just at work but in all areas of my life, is to never ask someone how they're doing if I don't have time to stop and hear the answer. Because sometimes, the only thing any of us needs is an opportunity to be heard and understood.

I've learned that I'm really not that different from a lot of my friends who don't have permanent addresses. If anything, many of them are just a lot stronger and more resilient than I will ever be.

I've learned what it means to be part of this amazing community. When I got severely sunburned last summer and could barely walk for two weeks, I had guests shading me with umbrellas every time I stepped outside, offering me their own supplies of sunscreen, running to the store and getting me aloe vera...and yes, teasing me mercilessly and calling me "The Lobster". But hey, I deserved that one.

I've learned that we have some of the most talented and gifted artists, writers, and musicians in all of Calgary right here in our midst. Seriously.

I've learned that I will see Jesus in the most unlikely of places.

I've learned to delight in the simple things, like a chaotic game of Dutch Blitz, a crash course in card tricks, or a conversation full of hysterical laughter.

I've learned a new level of sincerity in my faith, as I've sung worship songs in a shelter dining room, and prayed in a stairwell, and cried alongside guests as they confess to God, with tears pouring down their faces, that they don't want to be prisoners of addiction anymore.

I've learned that I have received far more from my time here than I'll ever have to give.

I've learned that God gave me a passion for messy relationships and brokenness, and that being part of someone's journey toward healing makes my heart beat faster...makes me feel like I was made for this purpose.

I've learned that I'll never be the same person as I was 12 months ago.

The Mustard Seed wrecked life as I knew it, and I am so grateful. I wouldn't trade the past year for anything, and at this point in my life, I can't imagine working anywhere else.

1 comment:

  1. God Bless you, and everyone like you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.