Thursday, March 01, 2012

Running from comfort

I am not a runner. There have been many periods in my life where I’ve tried to take up the sport, considering everything from the physical benefits, to the mental clarity to the social “cred” it’s purported to offer. So many of my friends and coworkers are committed to the practice for these reasons and others, but somehow I have yet to succumb to the pressure and sometimes even the temptation to gear up and hit the road for any longer than about four kilometers. Ten minutes in, I always find myself fighting to ignore more than just the pounding of my joints on the pavement and the strain in my poor calf muscles; it becomes a mental battle as I struggle to logically determine how and why so many people actually enjoy this painstaking activity and choose willingly to do it on a regular basis.

I’ve asked runners on several occasions to explain their reasons for engaging in this seemingly masochistic pastime, demanding they justify their behavior and share the precious secrets of how to push through the pain and exasperation.

“Just don’t stop. It’s not comfortable for anyone, but it’s worth it in the end.”

When I first heard this response, I laughed out loud. But now that I’m responsible for The Mustard Seed Calgary’s involvement in the 2012 Scotiabank Calgary Marathon, I’m looking deeper into this statement.

Many of us reading this are living comfortable lives. How often do we truly and intentionally bring ourselves to a challenging place where our physical and mental limits are tested? And how often do we have the opportunity to see the fruits of overcoming challenging times?

We have all heard that overcoming obstacles builds character. In some miniscule way, we are able to relate to those that are living in difficult circumstances as they seek to persevere through battles that are more than a sore calf muscle and a temporarily-increased heart rate.

So if this motivates you to try something that builds character for yourself, why not also run to help build a better life for someone in need?

On May 27, 2012, a team of Mustard Seed staff and supporters will wake up at an uncomfortable hour to participate in the uncomfortable activity of continually propelling one leg past another, having completed the uncomfortable act of asking their friends and family to pledge them in this pursuit.

I invite you to join us. It won’t be comfortable, but it will be worth it in the end.

For more information, see the Calgary Marathon link on our homepage.

2 comments:

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.