Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Running to End Homelessness


Last year, I ran 2524 kms. Essentially, that is like running from Edmonton to Hamilton, Calgary to Mexico or doing 42 round trips between Edmonton and Calgary. When I look back on those kms, the highlight was the 21kms that I ran on May 29th in my Run to End Homelessness in the Calgary Marathon. During that run, I capped off a fundraising effort that brought in $13,900 in support of The Mustard Seed’s vision of building community, growing hope and supporting change. Running, by nature, is a pretty individual sport, calling on inner determination and discipline. When I ran the half marathon in Calgary, it gave me a chance to reach out to others as I ran one step at a time. It felt amazing to put on my shoes and run the 16,000 steps in solidarity for our homeless neighbours.

If you were one of those generous people who sponsored me to run in 2011, I cannot thank you enough. Furthermore, I truly hope I can count on you to support the same initiative again this year. We are once again featured charities in both the Calgary and Edmonton Marathon weekends, which provides me with the opportunity to run for the men and women who come to The Mustard Seed in search of hope. What's more, is that it provides you with that opportunity as well. Together, we can run to end homelessness, inviting our friends and family to sponsor us in our effort. Don’t worry if you are not a runner (yet). Both races offer distances from 5 km to 42 km and walking is absolutely an option. Plus, you’ve got 109 days to get ready for Calgary and 193 to prepare for Edmonton.

When Eric Liddle famously said, “I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure.” I think he may have been thinking of a run like this. Sign up and join the team that’s running to end homelessness. If you are unable to run, please give generously today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.