Friday, February 17, 2012

Cooking in the Laundry Room

My name is Rheanna, and I am one of six students living in the Missional Housing Program at The Mustard Seed. At school I study Development Studies with a minor in Dance.

All six of us living here have different reasons as to why, but I think we hold a common root in desiring to further understand the hearts, eyes and lives of Calgary’s marginalized populations. For myself, I’m here in pursuit of simpler living and to live with students of similar values, but most strongly, I value the teachings of Jesus Christ, and believe there is something very precious found in spending time with people as he did.

Colin moved here last fall; it was just him, another student, and a very (very) poorly (not at all) decorated living room. Since then, James, Sien-ven, Danny, Desiree and I have joined him. I think it was less than 24hrs before my creative soul slipped out and stayed up till 2am redesigning our living room. There really should have been a ‘before' photo: white room, some furniture, a random box of wooden ducks, fake plants and, thankfully, a computer. Now it boasts some art, warm hues and, thanks to Desiree and James, a fuller bookshelf. It’s not too shabby.

It’s been about a month and a half now, and I think the word to best encapsulate our time so far is learning. We are learning how to be with a myriad of people, to hear stories, and to play some intense games of Power Grid (only try if you are okay with developing obsession). Between us 6, we are learning to exist in small spaces together.

It was on Valentine’s evening that I found myself chopping food in the laundry room, because it was too noisy a task for the time of night and my sleeping roommate. Since living here, I have found myself making quesadillas in the hallway, composing songs on the side of the bathtub, lugging a giant corkboard home on the bus to put on the wall, and discovering soup cans as excellent candle holders. Although these things are slightly comical, I also find them strangely refreshing. Regardless, I think that we are all discovering how to accommodate each other and try to be most fruitful for The Mustard Seed community, which may sometimes entail great dinner conversation downstairs with the guests or an awesome games night. And, on other days, may just mean cooking in the laundry room.

- Rheanna | Missional Housing Student

2 comments:

  1. Rheanna! How cool is that! I envy this amazing opportunity you have. Keep sharing with the world. You bring beauty back :) What a gift you are to those who surround you down there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That was a very intriguing read. What an amazing opportunity to grow and develop your character at such a young age. Keep LEARNING!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.