Thursday, December 22, 2011

Seeing in your own neighbourhood

Cary called me the other day; a woman who lives in a condo in Calgary and who has weekly contact with a homeless man who lives in her alley. Cary works for the Auditor General and is in Edmonton most of the week and only home on weekends. She stated the man in her alley is about 30 years old, does not 'look' homeless and yet carries a huge backpack and spends day and night behind her condo. He is extremely friendly and helps her carry her garbage out or visits when she is going for a walk. Cary stated that she wants to be sure she is not ignoring what her responsibility is was his neighbour and could I guide her in how to support him.

Imagine those magical words, "my neighbour". This is where the difference had already begun in Cary's heart because she didn't see him as a blight or as weaker but simply as a neighbour that she cared about.

I invited Cary down to the SEED as she had never been here before and last Saturday she came for a tour. She was impressed by how much the SEED did in the community and the services that we offered that she wasn't even aware of. I had told Cary I would make up a backpack for her neighbour with warm clothes, hygiene items and a list of Calgary resources and a Street Guide. Cary stated that he is always reading a book so she put a Chapters Gift card and a Tim Hortons Card in the bag. It was a wonderful blessing for me to work with someone in our community who truly cared and who wanted to be part of the solution, who truly was a neighbour.

Below is the email Cary sent me two days after our visit.

Hi Deb,

Thank you so much for meeting with me last Saturday morning. The Mustard Seed is much more than I expected.

I found the man we had spoken about a few hours after we met and introduced myself. His name is Cody. We chatted for a few minutes and I gave him the backpack. I let him know that I didn’t have much family left and it had made me happy to have him to shop for. I wished him “Merry Christmas” and said that if he needed any help to let me know. He said thank you and wished me a “Merry Christmas” and that was it. He seemed pleased and was smiling during our conversation. (I did say that I got the clothing and backpack from The Mustard Seed so he didn’t think it was weird that I bought him underwear! J)

I thought you’d like an update. It was so hard for me to walk away…I wanted to say more or do more… so frustrating… But I know it’s probably not good to be pushy (which is an integral part of my profession J).

I spoke to several people at work and they are fine with me putting a collection box in our photocopy room starting in January. Our office is small in Calgary (12 people) so not sure how this will work out. Like you said…everything helps.

Merry Christmas Deb and all the best in the New Year!

4 comments:

  1. Did anyone think of putting a Bible in the backpack for this man who likes to read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering the same thing. So much emphasise on social programs, but little to nothing done about their spiritual well being. I've volunteered down there and I never heard anyone mention Jesus Christ or God the entire three days I was there. Being a Christian, I was ashamed that a place that calls itself a Christian organization would put so little attention on the spiritual needs of the homeless. Yet, when some of their staff come to churches to promote what they are doing, they talk about God as if God is the center of what they do. He's not, and anyone who visits the seed will notice that right away. Our church is considering finding a new organization to financially support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Betty and Gary,

    I have been involved with the Mustard Seed for 12 years (this January 8, 2012). We do not overtly state things, we come alongside individuals and walk with them, but when they ask we share our faith.
    In Housing where I work there is a spiritual renewal underway that has seen residents start up their own social events, which include Bible studies, prayer times, and just living life together.
    I would encourage each of you to come down with renewed eyes, and a simple prayer that I start each of my days with, God let me see your children as you do, and watch the gospel that is shared through providing for one's basic needs and showing them unconditional love and acceptance, that when they are ready to meet Christ, we can reflect back the Christ they have shown to us as it says in Matthew 25...for when I was naked you clothed me, when I was hungry you fed me.
    God bless you both for engaging with us in each way that you have.
    Shalom;
    Ty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Betty and Gary,

    I'd love to invite both of you down to The Mustard Seed for a tour. Betty, I'm sorry your volunteer experience wasn't what you were expecting, but we'd love to give you a full tour of the services we offer.

    If you're interested, please email me at sarahbaker@theseed.ca to set something up. Thank you for your interest in the work we do.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.