Tuesday, December 06, 2011

A Million Dollar Gift

The phones were ringing and everyone was giving what they could. Amongst all the ones and zeroes stood a tired and weary man, reluctantly playing each day with the hand he was dealt. Beyond the tattered clothing and possession-filled backpack lay a glimmer of hope. Coins in hand, he walks hesitantly to the table. "Here," he says, opening his hand to reveal a few dirty coins, "it's all I have." He was immediately embarrassed and closed his fingers around the shiny objects, retracting his arm and bowing his head. "It's only three dollars."   "That's ok," they said. "No, it's only three dollars."   "No,"  I tell him, as I touch him gently on the back and look straight in his eyes.   "It's not only three dollars, it's three dollars." "It’s not only three dollars... " everyone there echoes. He looks up at us standing there and, looking slightly more empowered, sits down to fill out the form. "You should make a challenge," I say, and explain he can challenge other people to donate. "I want to challenge everyone to give, because if I can give, they can."

After that exchange, I slowly walked away from the table, my heart a little warmer, my smile a little brighter. Thank you, sir, for touching my day and my heart in a way I will never forget.

Four years later, we're about to launch into another Shine-a-Thon, the event where the above events played out. I'd like to personally ask you to listen to Shine FM on Thursday, December 15, and watch our Facebook and Twitter feeds in Calgary to see and hear about the work happening at The Mustard Seed and how you can help. Our goal is to raise $250,000 in one day with your help. If nothing else, we're fun people to listen to, and you'll be inspired in one way or another. Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.