Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Spread the Love

Yesterday I was driving to work and a woman called in to the local radio show to tell listeners about how she stopped on her way to work at Tim Horton’s drive-thru for a breakfast sandwich and coffee and when she arrived to the window to pay the car ahead of her had already paid for her purchase and how this random act of kindness made her day.  Then I read Jeff’s blog post about a small act that his family did for their neighbour, Deedee, which took a little time and energy but probably had a big impact on Deedee. 

Both these stories got me thinking about how fun it would be to  spread the love or pay-it-forward by  just doing acts of kindness to random strangers or neighbours (anonymously or not). 
These don’t all have to cost money but could be:
-  An anonymous note of encouragement to a co-worker or a friend
- offer to babysit for new parents who need a break
- shovel your neighbour's walk
- buy the coffee for the person behind you
- help clean someone’s house (a good friend of mine did this for me a couple weeks ago!)
- donating long underwear or mitts to a local charity

I know that I can get caught up in me, me, me.  So in light of this I’m committing to do 1 random act of kindness for the next 5 weeks leading up to Christmas.  Consider joining me on this journey, as I attempt to spread the love, 1 act at a time.  And if you do join me, share with me what you did!  I promise to keep you posted on my adventures of spreading the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.