Thursday, November 10, 2011

Hope grows through holistic care

When I talk to employers in the business community about what The Mustard Seed does, I often find myself telling them about the concept of holistic care. It’s usually an eye-opener for them to hear about the spectrum of services that is available to guests, as we discuss how we’ve moved beyond just providing warm meals.

On several occasions, I’ve explained our model using a hypothetical guest to illustrate how one might stay at the Shelter until they’re ready to move into their own place through our housing program (Aftercare), then find and secure a job with some assistance from the Employment Centre, thus completing their reintegration into mainstream society. This seems to make sense to my audiences; it’s a linear progression that most people can understand and support. They’re usually willing to consider hiring my imaginary character, so I chalk the conversation up as a success and we move on. Then, right before I depart, I ask them to return the rose-coloured glasses I lent them so that I can offer them to the next employer I meet.

If you’ve spent any time around The Mustard Seed, you’ll recognize (and forgive) my sarcasm and appreciate that holistic care doesn’t always happen in this clear and simple fashion. Progress takes patience and commitment from all parties involved, and sometimes we’re so wrapped up in our own piece of the puzzle that we’re not able to see when life-change has happened and this idea of holistic support has really worked. After a few months in this role, I, too, was beginning to wonder when my hypothetical character might come to life; when I’d have a real example of theory becoming practice. And then I met Michael.

We have all witnessed and heard about the truly complex and challenging circumstances that many of our guests have faced, and Michael's story is no exception. What is remarkable about Michael, though, is how he has been able to make progress in his life using the perfect blend of his own initiative and holistic care from The Mustard Seed.

Since Michael’s living situation changed in September, he has been working with both an Aftercare worker and an Employment Coach to devise a sustainable plan for a fresh start. It took versatility and motivation, and I was fortunate enough to see it all come together recently when I had the opportunity to take a road trip with Michael, to a small town northeast of Calgary where he had secured a job interview and tour of a potential rental unit. It was one of the most impactful days I’ve had since starting at The Mustard Seed to be able to be a very small part of a not-so-small change in someone’s life.

After spending the day with Michael, learning about his experiences and seeing the joy and hope in his eyes, I am so encouraged by how when we all work together in community with the goal of providing holistic care, change can happen and hope can grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.