Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Four Years and Running: An Interview with Ray


When it comes to reliability, look no further than Ray! Ray has been volunteering every Thursday at The Mustard Seed for over four years, spending the morning in the Computer Lab and the afternoon in the Employment Centre. Before retiring in 2008, Ray was VP and Senior Engineer at RBC Capital Markets, where he spent 28 years of his career.  We caught up with Ray and asked him a few questions about his volunteering experience:

What prompted you to become a long-term volunteer with The Mustard Seed?

I was already familiar with the organization, as I would occasionally walk by on my lunch breaks or volunteer with meal groups from RBC or the Knights of Columbus. I decided to help on a more consistent basis when I retired.

What have you learned since being a volunteer at The Mustard Seed?

Volunteering has expanded my horizons, made me more tolerant, and taught me that appearances are not the whole person. If you have no experience with the homeless, it’s hard to relate until you know someone affected by it. When I would walk by, I used to think, “Shouldn’t they all be working?”, but now I understand how complex people’s circumstances are and how difficult their lives have been.

Tell us about what you do in each of your volunteering roles.

In the computer lab, I primarily monitor people’s time allowances and sign them in and out, and help them with technical questions, job search and resume tips.  In the Employment department, I am able to offer more intensive resume and job search support since it is a one-to-one appointment format. I support guests as they work with their Employment Coach to develop a career path.

What do you love most about volunteering?

The Mustard Seed feels like a family environment, and I have met so many inspirational guests and staff while being here.  But what I love most is when guests come back and thank me for helping them, and I’m glad that it happens frequently.

What has been your most memorable experience while volunteering at The Mustard Seed?

There have been so many, both tragic and uplifting. One of my best experiences was with a guest who lost his house and was laid off, despite being highly qualified. When he first came he was difficult to help because of his attitude, but after several months it changed for the better. I’ll never forget the look on his face the day when he finally got a job and he came back to shake all of our hands and thank us.


The Mustard Seed is celebrating National Volunteer Week from April 21-27. Join us in thanking the thousands of volunteers who donate their skills and time to The Mustard Seed every year!

If you’re interested in becoming a volunteer, please visit www.theseed.ca and click “Volunteer”.

----- Subscribe to The Mustard Seed Blog via RSS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.