Thursday, October 06, 2011

God Loves us Where We're at

Yesterday was my 1 year anniversary working for The Mustard Seed.

One of my favourite experiences working at the Shelter was when a guest started asking me questions about being a Christian. He knew I was an ex-addict and an ex-convict and because he had been an addict for 30 years and spent over 20 years in prison, he felt he could relate to me and my experiences. I asked Bob what he wanted to know, and he said, "Well, I want to know more about being a Christian." He then asked me to share my life story and how I came to know God personally. I shared in detail about my history with drug addiction, the prison system and what lead me to having a relationship with Jesus. Bob said, “I’m interested. What do we do now?” I really wasn’t experienced in this at all, as I had never seen anyone at the point where they wanted to invite Jesus into their life. So I decided to go and ask another staff member to help me. Bob came with me to the front, I introduced Bob to the other staff member and then Bob said, “I don’t know you and can’t relate to you, but I know Jason.” So I took the plunge and prayed with Bob myself. He cried and invited Jesus into his life. After, we hugged and I told him that he was loved exactly were he was at and that God loved him too much to keep him where he was! By far, all my past experiences in life were worth it because it helped Bob feel like he wasn’t alone and that someone else who’s been through what he’s been through can be loved by God. I look forward to seeing Bob again some day.

By Jason (Aftercare Worker)
Bob-His real name was changed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comments are extremely welcome on all Mustard Seed Blog posts. Staff, volunteers and guests are always in need of encouragement and are always willing to participate in healthy dialogue. We ask that all critical comments be fair and relevant to the post.